MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGIES FOR FLOOD AFFECTED FIELD
Management Technology for submerged paddy / flooded paddy at harvest
Unforeseen situation may arise during any stage of paddy cultivation. If late incessant rains are received, standing paddy crop may be submerged even for days together and it may be even at harvest stage. Technologies to manage this situation are:
- As a first step drainage should be aided and all possible means are to be taken up.
- Immediately after the standing water column recedes, combine harvesters can be used for rapid harvesting of the crop. Special harvesters are available to work in a mire situation.
- The grain at this situation may be excessively wet. If drying is difficult for few days, the harvested grain may be mixed with common salt and the produce may be sun dried at the earliest opportunity.
Flood affected paddy field
Mitigation of Water logging Stress
- Providing adequate drainage for draining excessive stagnating water around the root system.
- Spray of growth retardant of 500 ppm cycocel for arresting apical dominance and thereby promoting growth of laterals
- Foliar spray of 2% DAP + 1% KCl (MOP)
- Nipping terminal buds for arresting apical dominance and thus promoting growth sympodial branches (as in cotton) for increasing productivity
- Spray of 40 ppm NAA for controlling excessive pre-mature fall of flowering/buds/young developing fruits and pods
- Spray of 0.5 ppm brassinolide for increasing photosynthetic activity
- Foliar spray of 100 ppm salicylic acid for increasing stem reserve utilization under high moisture stress
- Foliar spray of 0.3 % Boric acid + 0.5 % ZnSO4 + 0.5 % FeSO4 + 1.0 % urea during critical stages of the stress.