Wildlife FAQ


Q. Can anyone possess wildlife?

A. The matters related to Wild Animals are dealt under the provisions of the Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972. This is a Central Act, which provides protection to the wild animals. As per this act, hunting of wild animals has been completely banned. All wild animals are Government property unless any one through proper possession licences has obtained it. Trade of animals or their derivatives has also been banned under the provisions of this act, except where it is permitted under a proper licence. Hence no member of the public can own a wild animal or indulge in trade of such animals or their derivatives.
Any animal or its derivatives, if comes into possession by any member of the public, is required to be surrendered in the wildlife authorities immediately since possession of such animal or article shall be in violation of the provisions of this act.

Q. What should arms licence holder do if he lives in the vicinity of national park or sanctuary?

A. Holders of arms licence living near national park or sanctuary
All members of public living within 10 kms. of the boundary of Sanctuary or National Park have to register themselves with the wildlife authorities in case they are holding any arm licence. No new licence under arms act is to be granted within 10 kms. of any Sanctuary or National Park without prior concurrence of State Chief Wildlife Warden.

Q.What is the compensation for death or injury due to attack by wild animals?    

A. (1) Relief for the death / injury to human beings due to the attack by the wild animals:-

(a) To the legal heirs of the deceased. Rs.1,00,000/- (Rupees one lakh only).
(b) Permanent incapacitation. (To the incapacitated person) Rs.1,00,000/- (Rupees one lakh only)
(In respect of (a) and (b) above, an immediate relief of Rs.25,000/- would be granted and the remaining amount would be paid after completing all the required formalities.)
(c) Major injuries. Rs.20,000/- (Rupees twenty thousand only)

(2) Relief for the losses to the houses, crops, other than human death / injury caused by the attack of wild animals

(a) Damages to the crops Actual less or Rs.15,000/- (Rupees fifteen thousand only) whichever is less.
(b) Damages to the tiled / RCC house. Actual loss or Rs.5,000/- (Rupees five thousand only) whichever is less.
(c) Damages to thatched house. Actual loss or Rs.5,000/- (Rupees five thousand only) whichever is less.

For more details see Government Order No. 205

© All Rights Reserved. TNAU-2016.